Visiting more gardens

I'm heading off tomorrow for a conference (Garden Writers Association) in Raleigh, NC. I'm keen as I haven't been to the 'Triangle' in NC for some years (at least 11 or 12).

Home to three major universities, the 'Triangle' has the NC Botanical Garden at UNC Chapel Hill (focused on native plants), a favorite of mine, the JC Raulston Arboretum (at NC State University, focused on interesting plants from around the world), and the Sarah P. Duke Gardens (at Duke University), which includes a variety of lovely gardens, including a wonderful native plant area. We'll be visiting all of these during the conference. In addition, there are wonderful private gardens (Montrose) and great nurseries (Plant Delights and Niche Gardens) included, and interesting gardening vendors in the exhibits.

I had a thoroughly enriching time last year in Portland at my first GWA conference. I think that garden writers (really garden communicators) are essentially gardening educators (like I am) and are keen gardeners, too (ditto).

So it's well worth self-sponsoring attendance (since my garden doesn't have the budget to send any of us for professional development experiences).

I'm looking forward to it.

Comments

  1. Have a grand time and take lots of notes and tons of photos! Great places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun Lisa. I really wanted to go, but went to Spring Fling instead.
    I wonder where they will be in 2010? gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, and I'm planning to take lots of pictures! I'm really looking forward to seeing the three University-connected gardens, as it's been a LONG time since I've been up here.

    And Gail, I think your Spring Fling trip sounded fabulous, based on your posts.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i posted early spring pictures of niche on my blog - would love to see fall pictures on yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.