Clematis tangutica (Golden Clematis)

Golden Clematis,

The yellow clematis now flowering on the arbor outside the solarium in our house in Le Bic, Quebec was unfamiliar to me;  many ornamental clematis cultivars are grown in the Southeastern U.S., but I'd not seen this one before.

So, I wanted to figure out what species it was. 

Golden Clematis
It appears to be Clematis tangutica, a perennial vine native to the high mountains of northwestern India and western China.  It's really quite lovely and looks delicate.  It's certainly not popping up in our landscape here.

So I was surprised as I poked around the web that this species escapes cultivation in Alberta and is considered invasive.  There wasn't any mention of invasiveness on the Missouri Botanical Garden's website and it's a RHS plant of merit in the UK.  Sarah Raven recommended it.

But it's described as a "very vigorous deciduous climber."  I'll be keeping an eye on it, I guess!

Comments