Seed companies, seed catalogs, and seeds

I hardly need to buy more seeds as I have LOTS already, but succumbed to ordering more from two favorite seed companies (Sow True Seeds and Renee's Garden), justifying this with the idea:

that I'm teaching vegetable gardening classes and doing presentations to garden clubs (where I share seeds)!  We can plant them in the two vegetable gardens at the botanical garden where I work! I can share them with the Master Gardeners who are doing a Plant-a-row for the Hungry garden!  I need more warm-season vegetable seeds to donate to grow transplants for the April plant sale! My friend and colleague has a school garden -- spring greens for the kids! etc. etc.  I have two vegetable gardens of my own, too.  Anyway, you get the idea.  Uh, I need to actually assess what I have before ordering more, but... happily seeds are an inexpensive hobby.

seed packages at RHS Wisley (now I have a permit to bring seeds back!)
Hmm.  I think I need to organize a seed swap -- now that'd be fun.

And then I started looking at the Comstock Seed catalog, a venerable (200+ year old) seed company purchased a couple of years ago by Jere and Emilee Gettle of Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (their book, The Heirloom Life Gardener, is lovely).  I was a pleased recipient of a review copy, offered to Garden Writers Association members.

Yikes, I may need to order some interesting heirlooms from Comstock, too.

Woo-hoo!

Comments

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.