Lobelia cardinalis

Lobelia cardinalis, growing along greenway
I'm thinking about the nature of the gardens that we create.  And choosing plants that thrive where they're planted. 

In the mountains, Lobelia cardinalis, although adapted to moist environments, thrives even in full sun in streetside environments.  This clump, admittedly in a rain garden setting, was about as robust as Lobelia gets.  And I've noticed that the small blue 'bedding plant' version does well even in this summer's excessive heat.  Maybe the cooler night-time temperatures are the key to their success.

Comments

  1. Lisa,

    I see this plant or a similar one along creeks here. I'm red colored blind so usually when I see it is because of movement of swallowtails that really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted Lobelia cardinalis 'Fried Green Tomatoes' beneath the birdbath~knowing it would benefit from my filling the birdbath and from any the splashing water...but it was smashed when the raccoons tipped over the pedestal! next year I might see it! I love the bright red...gail

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.