More clean-up and planting

The squash vines, on further examination, were fraught with powdery mildew, so they've been edited, and I've propped up a couple of mid-summer transplant tomatoes (favorite San Marzanos grown from seed) over the trellises, with hopes of some late fruits.  There are a lot of set ones, so I'm hopeful.

I've sown flats of mesclun, spinach, and argula, along with kale, poked in some sugar snap peas, and have beet seeds soaking overnight.  There's just enough space to sow some beets and turnips tomorrow.
seeds for fall plantings
The tomatillos in the lower bed are doing well, so they'll stay, but I pulled a scrawny bean vine, left the Mountain Pride tomato (looks great, but doesn't get enough sun).  Perhaps now in fall, the late afternoon and early morning light will grow some carrots?  I'll sow some tomorrow and see.

Comments

  1. Do you use any cloches for your winter garden? If you're in western NC, your winters may be a bit colder than our in Upstate SC, but it seems with a little covering, plants could thrive year round. -Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do quite a bit of year-round vegetable gardening. In the Upstate, where I used to live (in Clemson), the winters were only a bit more mild than they are here in the Asheville basin. Hardy greens often come through the winters just fine, depending on what the extreme temps are. The last few winters have had exceptionally low cold spells, which took out most of my overwintering greens (without protection). If I'd had simple hoops up (which I'll do this winter again), they probably would have been fine!

    Here, I garden in raised front beds, so like to keep the cloches/hoops as attractive as possible, which makes it a bit more of a challenge. On the other hand, my raised beds are stone, which retains heat, and they're close to the neighboring brick apartment building!

    Good luck with your gardening in the Upstate!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.