Gettting ready for fall

Vegetable garden change-outs are always a bit about promise and hope.  Pulling out spent squash vines, pruning wilt-fraught tomato bits, removing beans past their prime:  all are part of getting ready for fall.

I'll be sowing sugar snap peas on the trellises (I'm always hopeful of a fall crop) and sowing beets, spinach, lettuce, and kale over the coming week.  I'm leaving one of the beans for now, along with the butternut squash, and cherry tomatoes, as all are still producing and seem disease-free.

If I find some of the sprouting broccoli starts (new last spring from Bonnie), I'll put those in too.

My tomatillo plant in the lower bed is producing an abundance of fruits, and maybe the late-grown and transplanted peppers will mature in time for some homegrown salsa.

Comments