A nocturnal symphony

I never tire of listening to the songs of crickets, cicadas, and katydids. In the southern U.S., summer evenings are alive with sound, changing as evening progresses. I don't have any great depth of knowledge about the biology of these insects, only what I've had fun learning by studying up for night hikes.

But distinguishing between the distinctive calls of different species is fascinating, and the ability of audio files and internet access to easily bring these songs to my study (and transfer CD files to my iPod) are such a wonderful way to appreciate the evening chorus.

The pleasant times of the day now are before 10 am and after 7:30 pm in our heat; fortitude and acclimation is required for working outdoors in between those times.


But, the humidity brings exceptional color to our sunsets, and it was lovely being outdoors at 8:30 this evening.

And, I'm looking forward to receiving the book and digital files that go with the Songs of Insects website that I found looking for night sounds again. I'm sure it will be great.

Comments