Fireflies

I've been seeing wonderful fireflies flashing at all levels in our back forest on recent evenings after dark.  

I've posted numerous times about fireflies over the years -- none, apparently with photos: My iPhone doesn't do them justice obviously -- I'd need a devoted DSLR and a tripod, I suppose.

Fireflies are doing well this year, apparently, based on my Bee City Leadership Committee friends, gathering for a potluck to celebrate a successful Pollination Celebration this year and a send off to our young collaborator -- off to grad school at UC Santa Barbara.  All of the folks who lived near woods were seeing lots of fireflies (lightning beetles) recently-- heartening, to be sure.

There are dim prospects for fireflies because of light pollution. This article from the The Guardian explains why.  It's a wake-up call to reduce our outdoor lighting to a minimal amount, on demand. 

Here's a Creative Commons Wikipedia view from Georgia. A lovely image.




 


Comments