Harvesting garlic


Garlic is ready when roughly half of the leaves are brown (more if soft-neck and less if hard-neck, if I'm remembering right).

In practice, if the stalks are tipping over, it seems like it should be time to harvest.

I've now pulled two beds, with two more to come. Over 75 heads of garlic are now drying in my garden shed.

(Hmm, I might actually see a return on my investment in buying organic garlic to plant, from Hood River Garlic, in Oregon).

Some heads I've harvested were downright huge, compared to previous years. Abundant rain is surely a factor, although variety is important, too.

We had fresh garlic and onions with mushrooms and garlic scapes as our dinner vegetable this evening. Yum.

Comments

  1. Yummy! Sounds like a wonderful dish for dinner....gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our garlic is getting ready for lifting. Hope we have the same success as you!
    And your dish sounded gorgeous!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.