Goutweed AKA Bishop's Weed

We had variegated gout weed all over our garden here in Quebec, managed by the lawn mowing of the previous owner,  It's robust here and flourishes.  I didn't know what it was . but when I posted about it,  my friend Jane in Oregon, wrote that it was a dreadful weed there.

So we've tried to get rid of it.  The first summer seemed to be a success (after using herbicide, under lock and key in Canada).  I'm not going to feel guilty about that; my reading suggested that pulling just encouraged it and in our various beds, solarization wasn't an option.

Amazing (but perhaps not surprising) after a year and a half away, with almost 2 complete growing seasons, patches have re-emerged.  Fortunately not too robustly, but still more than evident.

Our gardening strategy has been to "excavate" the garden, thankfully with lots of the natives that my gardening companion still extant.  It's coming along nicely, less to my efforts and more to my gardening companion's.

This was a compost bin full of the stuff, thankfully picked up yesterday.


 


Comments