Harvesting the final kale and broccoli

We've been lucky this year that the cabbage whites arrived late.  My lacinato and red bor kale have held up exceptionally well in this long cool spring.  And I'm harvesting sugar snap peas and snow peas now. Delightful.

So I'm in the final phases of harvesting the kale and broccoli leaves over the next week or two.  I've planted tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, but as we really hope to depart to our cottage in Quebec sometime this summer, I'm not planting beans or squash, as I normally would.

Whether it's my family here or renters, they don't need to be worrying (nor me) about extra vegetables to harvest.  Tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers will be just fine.  I may still plant some okra seeds that my friend in Alabama sent me this spring - she said they were wonderful.  Okra is beautiful in flower, so maybe I'll do that, as well as adding more perennial herbs as placeholders.



Comments