Garden transitions

Cleaning up the pollinator beds this afternoon in a warm spell was rewarding, as was tidying the spent Salvia guaranitica that had finally been frosted out by the big snow a week ago.

The snow brought welcome moisture;  the soil was spongy as I pruned dead stems.  We keep the stems on the back slope, potentially as host sites for stem-nesting bees and other insects and as vegetative ballast for runoff below the apartment building next door.

Facebook keeps reminding me of my wonderful spinach beds last year at this time (I had fabulous spinach through the winter).  Bah, humbug.  Not this year.  It was warm in the fall, and we were traveling, so I didn't have a chance to sow another round to replace the failed early sowing.
They were delicious.
But, there's always late winter; we'll be here in late February for sowing greens of all sorts.

Comments

  1. Yum! Well, February isn't far off now. Nothing like fresh greens from the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.