New gardeners & growing your own vegetables

There's such a resurgent interest in growing vegetables here in the U.S.. Hooray! Even non-vegetable gardeners (based on our Garden's volunteer appreciation lunch today) have heard of the Eat the View campaign to encourage transforming part of the White House lawn to an organic vegetable garden.

In Victory Garden days, apparently 41% of the vegetables consumed in the U.S. came from home gardens.

I know from my experiences with my (relatively small) vegetable garden areas that we have vegetables/greens to eat from April to October/November, enough that I don't need to buy much fresh produce at the grocery store during that time. I haven't focused yet at growing enough to can, freeze, or otherwise preserve, but perhaps that's the next step.

Comments