Yay for Remay!

I planted cool-season veggie transplants WAY too early, shortly after returning from Quebec, on a very spring-like weekend in Asheville.  I think I planted on March 11th.

It was an enthusiastic nod to gardening again, as I welcomed seeing green after 2 snowy months of wonderful cross-country skiing.  I actually hadn't checked the forecast ahead (a newbie gardener mistake for an experienced gardener!)  I did know better, but my vegetable gardening patterns have been upended with time in Quebec in summer and fall, different than my familiar year-round gardening practices here in the Southeastern U.S.

So ahead of a series of nights of temperatures in the low to mid 20°'s F., I covered my planted bed with Remay (spun, non-woven polyester fabric), doubled over hoops.  I wasn't all that hopeful, even though the raised beds are stone and they're surrounded by stone pathways and river stones (which would radiate back warmth).

 


Remarkably, uncovering the bed after well over a week of below freezing temps, the transplants looked in pretty good shape, aside from a couple of the chard plants, which probably will be fine.  Hooray.  The spinach is just waiting to get going!

I have two more beds ready to plant, with additional mushroom compost added today.  I'm ready for greens and spring.

After another program about garden blogging and garden journal keeping tomorrow, in person at the NC Arboretum, I'll be stopping at a favorite nearby nursery nearby to get more transplants.  Such fun!

Comments