Haskap berries

Picking LOTS of strawberries at our local farm last Friday, I also picked some Haskap berries (Lonicera caerulea), camerise in French.  They had been sour on a previous harvesting visit, but the berries I collected last week were delicious.  It was the end of the season, so fussy to collect, but worth it.


I came home and ordered two plants from a grower in Saskatchewan - cultivars from the University of Saskatchewan’s breeding program.  My selections are for extra-large fruits and good taste.  A wonderful addition to our “orchard” with its young fruit trees, established raspberry patch, strawberries, and rhubarb.

I’m harvesting delicious fresh garlic now, too.  I don’t want to cure it to store, as it doesn’t make sense for when we spend time here.  Why not use it fresh now, I’m thinking?

Comments