Remembering an early snow (and fall greens)

It's hard to imagine in this warm, dry fall that two years ago, on Halloween night, we had an early snow.

It was lovely, to be sure, although unexpected.

This year, faced with increasing drought, and extended warmth, it seems so different.  I don't even want to look at the U.S. Climatic Center's forecast -- I don't think it's good in terms of rain or temperature.

My less-experienced gardening friends are musing about whether they should transplant shrubs, perennials, or sow winter veggies seeds, lulled by the warmth, and the extended season.

It's scary.

Southside Community Garden at the Edington Center, Asheville, NC
But my greens in the raised beds are flourishing, even with low light, and the community garden where I volunteer is filled with winter greens.

part of last Wednesday's harvest


Comments