Långholmen allotments and garden, Stockholm


Looping around a different side of the island, near Sodermalm, we came across a delightful vegetable garden, much larger than most we've seen so far, surrounded by allotment gardens of varying sizes.

Långholmen is a former prison island, now turned park, and the sign confirmed that this area had been the site of an original prison vegetable garden.

Some of the allotment gardens had perfectly kept small cottages, summer and weekend retreats for the plot-holders, and I can imagine how someone living in the high-rise condo units nearby would relish being in his or her garden on a sunny summer day.

Comments

  1. Those little cottages steal my heart; how lovely to camp in the middle of your garden for a few days! The allotments are a sweet, soft riot of texture and color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those cottages amazing? I'd be so grateful to be in the midst of my garden in the middle of the city.

      Delete
  2. It's hard to believe that the photo of the red shed seen through the picket fence is in Sweden. It would look at home in my part of Quebec or just over the border into New England. As would that beautiful blue sky! You can see what's blooming in my garden at www.siteandinsight.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardening tradition in Sweden is sweet, if not widespread. These allotment gardens are charming.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.