A pop-up community garden

There's a city-owned space in downtown Asheville that's been vacant for quite awhile.  Part of it was a mildew-ridden parking garage when we first came to Asheville (it's now removed); another bit was a building (provided for Sister Cities space) that became uninhabitable (also now removed).  And I think there is a bit of additional land as part of the parcel, too.

It's been the source of some discussion (an understatement) over the past years -- slated for development, promoted as a green space, called the "Pit of Despair," etc.

City Council is still pondering about the best use for this space, and has invested much time and dollars in surveying the community, etc. etc. -- tax benefits v. green space distills the ideas behind the pondering.  But in the interim, they called for short term ideas.

I was delighted to see a community garden pop up in the old Sister Cities site. Delightful.  The nearby residents at Battery Park Apartments have been gardening in the empty edges around this site for several years.

But to return from ~ about a month away, to a delightful community garden in this space.

How nice is that? Magic.

Looping through downtown on a walk this evening, I chatted with some of the gardeners. I'll be seeing how I can help in the future, as they have a year's commitment from the city, with possibilities of continuance down the road.




Comments

  1. That is cool. Cities need to allow and encourage this more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is fabulous! I love seeing community gardens popping up in the Madison area, too. It's such an encouraging trend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful - and look at the incredible job done in such a short period of time! I think that every city has more than enough concrete - adding more green is never a bad decision in my book.

    P.S. When I was reading this I couldn't help but think about the vacant lot on Parks and Rec :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sort of thing that makes me feel more optimistic. I hope the city lets them turn this into a long-term resource.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.