What fruits should we grow?

Amid the enjoyment of robins singing, and the general increase in morning bird activity, I've got vegetables and fruits on my mind. We had an excellent presentation last Saturday by our state peach expert, essentially telling us to grow the easy, no-spray fruits at home (many of which are native like blueberries, blackberries, paw-paws and persimmons), and leave the peaches, etc. that basically need life support (my words, not his) to the experts.

Not bad advice, at all, actually, although I continue to be hopeful that my Esopus Spitzenburg bare root transplant that's on its way (for our bit of mountain space) won't turn out to be a donation to Monticello. Esopus Spitzenburg was supposedly Thomas Jefferson's favorite apple, and surely he wasn't spraying on a weekly basis? But maybe he was using copper sulfate, and some of the organic materials recommended today for those of us unwise enough to attempt apples in the Eastern U.S.

We'll see!

Comments

  1. I love having blackberries and strawberries to pick at will.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the apple.
    I think that the general rule to grow those things that fit most comfortably with your conditions is the best one.
    Organic gardening is, after all, about working with nature.
    Your season is obviously some way ahead of ours. I can't wait to get started!!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be in a good place to grow apples. After all, Long Creek is not THAT far away and they grew apples up there for forever.

    My grandparents had an apple orchard on their property in Picket Post when I was little. Alas, there is now a golf course where once there were yummy apples.
    LHR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely thinking the NC mountains are OK to try apples; here in the Piedmont, we're marginal for chilling requirements and subject to more pests and diseases. Even 'old-time' SC apple growing areas below the Blue Ridge Escarpment are marginal, perhaps OK for home growers, though.

    But, I'm ready to try my Esopus Spitzenburg and Albermarle Pippin when they arrive, but they'll be planted in our bit of mountain space!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.