The National Trust

I've been fortunate to have had many excellent (if not downright wonderful) visits to National Trust properties in Southern England (U.K.) during two recent trips. I visited many other places, too, mostly gardens and nurseries, but especially enjoyed the Trust properties.

Preserving gardens, historic houses, natural areas, scenic coastlines, and other special places, The National Trust is a rough equivalent to the U.S. National Park Service, albeit with a different feel.
Harting Down

Receiving a member's magazine (as a Royal Oak member in the U.S.) a couple of days ago, I was reminded of what a very well-done publication it is, and the diversity of places that the Trust preserves.

As a Royal Oak passholder on recent trips, I visited many smaller places that I probably wouldn't have visited otherwise, from Harting Down, Birling Gap and the Seven Sisters (wonderful) to Bateman's (Rudyard Kipling's home), and Petworth House (in beautiful countryside).

Seven Sisters

I enjoyed poring over their maps and guides, too, reading the descriptions of all the places I could visit, if I'd had more time. I tried especially to visit natural areas, balancing my somewhat determined garden visiting.


I've been reminded of these places by working on an upcoming talk and revisiting some of these places through the images I took.

Comments