Late fall vegetable plantings

Fall vegetables are really planted in late summer, and harvested in fall — that is, the lettuce, chard, spinach, kale, and collards, not to mention broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

It’s all about timing, and what the fall is like.  The Southside Community Garden, where I volunteer, is filled with beautiful rows of fall greens.

I’ve just planted some very nice garlic, to be harvested next spring/early summer.  I don’t really have the good conditions for it, that I had in my Piedmont garden, but why not?  Green garlic is delicious, too.

I’m planning to sow more spinach, arugula, and turnip seeds after the rains that are forecast for tomorrow.
A view from a couple of years ago (the only one that Blogger (on iPad gives me access to)
It’s all good!

Comments

  1. Wonderful to have harvests of veggies in the fall. We will get our last CSA veggie share in two weeks. I volunteer at a food pantry garden, and the frosts in the next week will probably bring an end to the growing season. Looking forward to next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret wrote this, which somehow didn't post:

    No greens this fall for me so of course, your fall garden makes me "green" with envy ;) My lettuce unfortunately bolted during a hot spell in early September and my kale succumbed to powdery mildew and aphids - it's been one of THOSE years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish many beautiful days to create beautiful quality gardens.But I did not think how to make it? I have the desire to make a garden from your green vegetable planing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.