Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Natural Bridge State Park


On my way to the Garden Bloggers Fling in DC, there are numerous opportunities for stops along the way. It's basically a seven-hour drive, with wonderful scenery along I-81, so not a lot of time for extra excursions, but I was planning to stay somewhere within a couple of hours of DC.  So, I enjoyed occasional forays off the interstate as a welcome break, and a refreshing visit to the Natural Bridge State Park, near Lexington.  It's one of VA's newest state parks, having long been in private ownership.  I didn't have time to hike any of the trails, but it was a wonderful respite from travel -- a brief dip into the natural world does wonders.



Interestingly, Thomas Jefferson was one of its first "owners" -- and apparently a great fan, judging by the guest book he kept, during his regular visits.  My overnight destination hadn't been planned, but I think the mention of Jefferson tipped a return visit to Monticello tomorrow, and an overnight stay in Charlottesville this evening. I was at Monticello for the Harvest Festival last September and loved visiting - the Vegetable Garden is truly a wonder, not to mention the Flower Garden, natural areas, and the house and history.....

1 comment:

  1. Monticello is definitely on the bucket list! I'll have to Natural Bridge SP to the list, too. Have a great time at the Fling!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I enjoy hearing from fellow nature observers, as well as whomever else drops by.

Related Posts with Thumbnails