Natural Bridge State Park


On my way to the Garden Bloggers Fling in DC, there are numerous opportunities for stops along the way. It's basically a seven-hour drive, with wonderful scenery along I-81, so not a lot of time for extra excursions, but I was planning to stay somewhere within a couple of hours of DC.  So, I enjoyed occasional forays off the interstate as a welcome break, and a refreshing visit to the Natural Bridge State Park, near Lexington.  It's one of VA's newest state parks, having long been in private ownership.  I didn't have time to hike any of the trails, but it was a wonderful respite from travel -- a brief dip into the natural world does wonders.



Interestingly, Thomas Jefferson was one of its first "owners" -- and apparently a great fan, judging by the guest book he kept, during his regular visits.  My overnight destination hadn't been planned, but I think the mention of Jefferson tipped a return visit to Monticello tomorrow, and an overnight stay in Charlottesville this evening. I was at Monticello for the Harvest Festival last September and loved visiting - the Vegetable Garden is truly a wonder, not to mention the Flower Garden, natural areas, and the house and history.....

Comments

  1. Monticello is definitely on the bucket list! I'll have to Natural Bridge SP to the list, too. Have a great time at the Fling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.