A wonderful night sky

I'd heard about the juxtaposition of Venus, Jupiter, and the moon a couple of weeks ago, I think. I've been noticing the crescent moon and the various orientation of the two bright planets in the clear (low humidity) night skies over the last few days. 

Tonight, it's quite evident, but the planets aren't above the horizon (enough) even now to get a decent shot.

Earth and Sky posted this explanation of what we're seeing today,  along with this diagram.  Check it out!

From Earth and Sky.org (3/27/2012)


My dad (in Texas) took this shot a couple of days ago and sent it around -- it's a different orientation, but shows the crescent moon and the two planets quite nicely. (Click to get the full-size image).

Crescent moon and night sky, Austin, 3/25/2012

Comments

  1. I just discovered your blog via Blotanical. I spent 10 years in Clemson, and this post specifically brought back memories of backyards, lunar eclipses, and meteor showers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.