Monday, November 7, 2011

Atlanta Botanical Garden

A delightful visit to the Atlanta Botanical Garden last weekend included giving an evening talk (my gardening companion) and doing a program about native plants and native woodland gardens on Saturday (both of us).

Happily, our visit included some wandering around the Garden and a behind the scenes visit to their outstanding conservatories and conservation greenhouse with Conservatory and Conservation Director Ron Determann.

And we had a chance to interact with a great group of participants as well as other staff.

ABG is a class act, and has been nicely redeveloped and recently expanded (in terms of access) to now include the Storza Woods (through the Canopy Walk).

This expansion has included a new visitor center and entrance, a parking deck that's a model of how to do one, and a multi-use education facility since we'd visited last.

I've been a member for years (I like to support nearby public gardens) and was glad to renew and upgrade our membership to a dual one on this visit.

If you're in Atlanta, take time to visit. It's a special place, part of Piedmont Park in mid-town Atlanta.

3 comments:

  1. We have lots of interest in native plants in our area - and I promote their use as often as I can. I even have a native plant nursery, Nasami Farm, in my neighborhood, a project of the New England Wildflower Society. Great organization. Great Nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to be close to Nasami Farm! I really talked up the New England Wildflower Society and Bill Cullina's books in my presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great place. I visited ABG a few years ago (blogged about too) and believe it one of the best. The tree canopy walk was under construction. Enjoyed the outdoor field of native pitcher plants.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I enjoy hearing from fellow nature observers, as well as whomever else drops by.

Related Posts with Thumbnails