Chives

I've had clumps of chives for years, primarily for their spring flowers.  I'm sorry to say that I've never used any shoots before today, faced with four (very robust) clumps, needing to be weeded of Oxalis and Digitaria.

A google search on what to do with chives brought up the usual (chop the leaves up as garnish for baked potatoes, soups, etc.)

But I have LOTS of chive leaves.  So I searched for chive pesto. Hooray, chives with parsley or cilantro (in equal quantities) with garlic and nuts (almonds and pine nuts were listed).

So I harvested a good size bunch (uh, just a drop in the proverbial bucket), and added them to cornbread and a pot of beans (the target for dinner tonight).

Obviously, I need to start making pesto!


Comments

  1. I've now got several small containers of chives pureed with olive oil in the freezer, with three large clumps to go. Should be nice in the winter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.