A new year and new gardening

In the middle of winter, it seems normal to think ahead. 

I peer at the prostrate rosemaries in the raised beds in the mountains, hoping that their needles will green up in the spring (they're a reddish-green now, not looking terribly promising).  The thyme, parsley, and oregano look better, and amazingly, the arugula looks like it might actually still grow a bit (after being covered with at least ten inches of now).  Who knew.

I ventured forth on a (finally) balmy day for a long walk, visiting the Pearson Community Garden on the way. Happily, they've got row covers over quite a few of their beds, and their hoop house in cover crops.  Nice to see.

There was a story in a local monthly magazine about warm-season crops such as tomatoes and peppers being grown in local greenhouses (one of the producers was part of a company that is a local flower and annual producer, with over 12 acres devoted to greenhouses).  What an excellent idea to have one of them devoted growing peppers and tomatoes, and offer the harvest to local restaurants and groceries! 

I don't quite understand why we're offered up only large colored bell peppers grown in Holland, British Columbia, and Mexico.  OK, we're totally spoiled and shouldn't eat colored peppers out of season, I know.  But, couldn't some be grown close by, too?  They're good for us to eat, after all.

I'm hopeful for the New Year.  Gardening is always there, and growing food is part of that.  It's one of the best ways that I know to be connected to the earth and what's important.

Happy New Year,
Lisa

Comments

  1. My herbs look a little stressed, this earlier freeze was hard on them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.