Robust garden phlox

Garden phlox
A quick trip back down the Blue Ridge escarpment to the Piedmont found us thinking, hmm, it's certainly hotter and more humid at home in Clemson (in spite of the heat wave that we've experienced on and off in the mountains).

My vegetable garden spaces looked wan (uh, the main vegetable garden IS being fallow to starve out the root-knot nematodes, but looks drought-stressed, for the few plants that remain, and the satellite garden is full of crabgrass, although the asparagus beds and honey fig (thanks, CEN!) look fine.

All of the flower and vegetable beds are ready for clean-up and fall planting; that'll happen in a couple of weeks when we return home for fall semester.  It won't take long to get the vegetable garden beds ready, but will take a bit more time to get the rest of the garden 'in shape'  -  thank goodness we're 'natural gardeners.'

I was impressed by an amazingly robust phlox, in the bed next to the garden shed.  A offshoot (I think) from the nutrient and water restricted plants in one of the perennial borders has become a standout in the rich, deep soil of this raised bed.  Hmm, yet another example of how rich garden soil transforms perennials.

Comments

  1. A good friend of mine has the best looking phlox I've seen in a long time. I know she waters and has uses soil conditioner as a mulch...but it's sure wonderful looking. gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail,
    I've noticed how much better the flowers tucked into my raised (vegetable) beds do, too, compared to their counterparts in less amended soil. I think a revamp of one of the main perennial borders is in order. Not with lots of water, but definitely some soil improvement!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.