Early flowers

Leaving from home late this afternoon, I noticed that the old pink quince next to the driveway (moved from our house in Georgia and one of the first shrubs we planted as young homeowners) has open flowers. Definitely spring is on the way, in spite of the sleet and snowflakes on the road.

I always notice its buds in (what passes for) the dead of winter here, and has been particularly so this year.

The shoots on the coral honeysuckles (Lonicera sempervirens) are elongating quickly, the bare vines supporting young green leaves.

Daffodil shoots are well up, and the first flowers of weedy winter annuals are evident, too.

I saw some open speedwell flowers (Veronica arvensis) in the lawns near my office this morning.

This is a photo from Missouri plants.com.

Comments

  1. Witch hazel is blooming but I haven't wanted to wade into the wet clay to get photos! I love the little veronicas~~Have a good weekend. gail

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.