Hummingbird flowers and summer evenings

I love this plant (Begonia boliviensis), even if it does trick hummingbirds into visiting it. It's succulent enough to weather our dry summer heat in a hanging basket, and robust enough to grow from quite a small internet-ordered sprig into this lovely specimen within 2 months or so.

I tried to overwinter a plant inside a couple of winters ago, with no success (it got very cold in the house over winter break while we were gone that year, but perhaps we overwatered it, too).

Last year, my mail-ordered (actually internet-ordered) dormant root/corm/whatever didn't emerge, much to my disappointment.

But this year's plant is thriving.

And, warm, sultry evenings have settled in here, although we're supposed to have a respite this weekend. The mid-July sky is lovely, even if it didn't produce a thundershower.

Comments

  1. What a great red bloom filled plant for the hummers!
    We are hoping for some rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where that would trick the hummers. - Dave

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.