Monarda for hummingbirds

I had meant to get a bright red Monarda didyma to attract ruby-throated hummingbirds, but found this magenta one 'Raspberry Wine' instead. It's done remarkably well since it was planted last summer. Being next to the bird bath has definitely helped provide moisture that's otherwise in short supply this summer.

It's struggled a bit with powdery mildew (like most Monarda spp.), but provides a welcome patch of color nevertheless.

This morning, I saw a hummingbird spending time methodically working through open flowers, extracting nectar (naturally, I didn't have my camera!) Fortunately, the inflorescences have lots of flowers which open over an extended period of time.

Comments

  1. Isn't monarda gorgeous? In my first home I had a clump near the street and folks were constantly pointing at it and wondering what it was. It seems to be more common here now. When we had renters in our current home the monarda died :( I'd love to find a place to put it again - perhaps near the veggie beds to attract the bees, since I have to water there pretty often anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.